Search This Blog

Monday 19 May 2014

Pro's and cons of going back to work post-baby

Now I've been back at work for a few months, I've had time to reflect on the advantages and disadvantages of balancing work and family life.  I've structured it into a pro's and cons list, because I haven't managed to find much of a balance and lists are quick.

Pro:  I don't get indigestion from inhaling meals when Little Parasite spots I'm eating, and makes his determined way over to mug me.
Con: I habitually leave bits of baby-safe sandwich and fruit as a decoy for the good stuff.

Pro: I can have a hot drink whilst it is indeed hot.
Con:  I continually burn my mouth because I think 'boiling' is 15oc, and forget to check. 

Pro:  I often get to have at least one grown-up conversation a day.
Con:  I now have to engage my brain.  I can't rely on innocence and make stuff up.

Pro:  I don't have to watch kids' TV.
Con:  I regularly miss Octonauts and Chuggington, which I now have to catch up on iPlayer.

Pro:  I can spend most of the day sat in a chair, not the floor.
Con: I have to sit in a chair and work, instead of sit on the floor pretending I'm only playing with toys to amuse Little Parasite - who has since crawled off somewhere, leaving me to play with his toys in peace.

Pro:  My lunch hour is actually a whole guaranteed hour, not a duration determined by the equation:  L=(ns - En)/C*, where L = lunch, s = sleep, E = Exhaustion, C = crankiness and n = number.
Con: Less time with LP.

Pro:  Earning money!
Con: The majority of it is spent on childcare. 

Pro: I can pretend 'baby brain' causes me to forget everything.
Con:  I've discovered 'baby brain' is a real thing.

Pro: I can get through a whole day with no baby puke on my clothes.
Con: I end up spilling yogurt on myself instead, and have no one else to blame.



*Apparently, Blogspot has no way of putting sub- or superscript characters in.

No comments: