Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Banter

Pretty early on in our relationship, Husband and I decided that we shouldn't banter between each other as it inevitably ends in an all-out cat fight. However, we often review this decision and have trial banter-weeks. It always ends badly.

Our most recent foray into couple bantering started off quite fun. Husband, intent on spicing up our maritals, asked me what I would like to be tied up with. I replied: "A good book." We chuckled a bit and carried on with our conversation. Unfortunately, this was the catalyst that resulted in a series of progressively snide remarks.

By the end of the day, exhausted by creating emotional walls to protect against the banter blows, Husband said to me: "That style suits you," as I had my sweater pulled over my face whilst getting changed. This was met with an icy silence and signalled the end of all conversation, banter or otherwise, for the next 24 hours (I can sulk, oh yes, I can sulk).

The fundamental problem with bantering with someone you know very well is that they know you very well too, and this is where the line between fun and insulting is not only crossed, but beaten back by a burning rhino that's really pissed about being on fire.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im sorry

Husband

ps I have 99 more lines to go

Anonymous said...

Im sorry

husband

ps 98 to go

Anonymous said...

Im sorry

husband

ps 97 to go

Anonymous said...

I just love the way you two work. Mum